Tuesday, January 25, 2011

2.99 for a pack of Jello cups? I think not....

            Today we had to take Connor to the dentist, he needed a cavity filled and a tooth pulled...I was worried he would not be able to eat anything this evening, being as I have had a tooth or two (okay like 8) pulled. The little guy loves jello- but only in little cups. All the boys seem to turn up their noses to jello in a glass baking dish like my mom used to do. I went to the store last night totally willing to purchase the jello cups for my soon to be brave little man, until I saw they were 2.99... are they nuts? I can get a box of jello for 69 cents!!!! But the cup- I know he won't like it in a dish.
            Feast your eyes on this Frugal Solution and sigh in "why didn't I think of this earlier" and if you had thought of it earlier- or before this post- don't tell me cause I will be mad that you didn't tell me! I feel as though I have been shorting my kids of Jello for the last 14 yrs!!!
             Brian likes the "YoCrunch parfait" yogurt, so when I have a coupon, I get it. I started keeping the containers in the thought that I would be able to use them for something, well I found my something! I had 3 of them and 2 of the mini gladware containers, I took this picture after Connor had already eaten 2 of them. 20 minutes later, Max ate one, Connor had another one and Brian ate the last one. I have Melon Jello in 5 of the mini gladware containers now...soooooo bring on the boxed jello baby- I am in business!


Tonight was HamPot Pie
            I had made a huge batch of this over Christmas time and froze it- I have never ever had enough to freeze of this so I had no idea how it would taste after being frozen... but it was just as good as the day I made it- okay, close but not perfect cause you don't have the huge pot on the stove simmering!
Here is the recipe, that mind you is a NOTRecipe, meaning I add, subtract and use alot of what I have on hand, adjust to your families likes and dislikes with the ingredents:
The Soup~ 
Cook a ham bone in water to make a broth, I use Peight's chicken stock base to add flavor as well- I have tried ham stock base- but none of the boys liked the taste.
add seasonings like celery seed, pepper,tarragon, parsley what ever you like. I add different stuff each time! I ALWAYS add about a cup of Peights Dried Soup Greens... 
Pull meat from ham bone add back to stock, bring to slow boil/simmer Make sure you have a decent amount of broth- I make this in a huge stockpot and I bet I have it only 6 inches from the top. 
Now - make the PotPie~
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
enough flour to make a stiff dough
Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into strips, I use a pizza cutter.. be generous with the flour on your rolling surface and on the dough as you roll it out- this thickens your soup . Make sure your stock is close to boiling - if not already boiling, adding about 12 pieces of dough to the pot, giving a quick stir so they don't stick and repeat until all the noodles have been added. You wanna give the noodles a little time to cook, like once the soup returns to a hard simmer, add more noodles...
these noodles puff up a good bit, so make sure you are using a large pot!
I have Banana Bread in the oven right now.... I will post it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment