Monday, January 10, 2011

Life gets Messy- but that is fun part!

                 So- I know it has been a while since my last blog post… Life gets like that… Who doesn’t realize wow-I forgot to do this that or the other thing? Like taking down a Christmas tree, having to take apart the new vacuum since it now is filled with what Connor and Max lovingly refer to as “ Christmas Magic” (my old fashioned tinsel), finding a leak in the pipes in the basement… you know that on top of laundry, cooking and normal cleaning- Thank the good Lord that Brian helps me A LOT- I am lucky- I think the household only runs because I married a man who knows it is okay to do dishes and fold laundry!

After taking down most of the Christmas Decorations, I just couldn’t part with my Boxwood I got from Tannebaum’s this year, I splurged and bought the 25$ long swag and since it looks pretty to me. I thought I would leave it up with my favorite Willow Tree figures.

I have been trying to keep up with following my Menu Plan and taking pics, I got kinda messed up following the plan, but since I have one created the nice thing is~ I have recipes in the back of my mind that I want to try that I know I have the ingredients for to make.
Tonight instead of the Panko Fish Sticks, we are having Crockpot roasted sticky chicken… I had originally pulled it out of the freezer to make Sunday, but it didn’t defrost in time, So we are having it tonight!
Basically I took a 8 lb roasting chicken and mixed a bunch of seasonings like paprika, onion salt, white pepper, black pepper, Thyme, Oregano, Bell’s Seasoning and Cayenne pepper to rub all over the chicken. I put it in a pan covered in the fridge and then this morning stuck it in the Crockpot. I am going to make some wild rice and green beans to go with it to round out the meal. Brian said forget using the Oven for Chicken anymore- this was the moistest melt in your mouth like Butter chicken he had ever eaten!


Last Wednesday I made the ultimate Chili in a Crockpot I think the easiest meal in the world, I use coupons to get those Hormel canned chilis to add to my homemade chili~ kinda kicks up the flavor a notch.. and I also set the bread machine so that when dinner time came, the bread was done! Thanks to my friend Judi H. I have a Bread maker- I love it. Say what you want about using a bread maker being cheating from not making it from scratch, but if you work…. You waste valuable time making it by hand. That being said, I have made it by hand and I will when I have the time. 

We have been getting 2 birds with one stone out of our Pellet Stove, Brian hung up a clothes line in the family room and we have a clothes drying rack, one of those heavy duty ones you can only find in Amish places like Peights… I haven’t used the dryer in almost 2 weeks, I am curious to see if this cuts anything from the electric bill. I know it will help save on clothing- since the dryer basically dries and eats your clothes at the same time! What do you think all that lint is from? The breakdown of the fibers in your clothing. Wearing them out and wearing them thin before their time.
I have been thinking lots on how to improve what I post on my blog, and I seem to spend a lot of time cooking- so obviously I will keep up with that stuff, and how to save money, couponing and whatnots…
One of the most insanely wonderful items I have found? Crockpot liners- WOW- yes I know this seems like a frivolous item- you get 4 to a box and the box is 2.00, but- really if you make a lot in the crockpot, and it gets messy.. are you not wasting more in water and scrubbing with hot water and not to mention time to get that sucker clean?
I have found that going thru cookbooks at night, is helpful to find recipes that I might want to try, the older the cookbook- the more likely you are to find recipes that have the ingredients in your house. Sometimes though- you have to be careful, keep a big old glass of water with you- cause looking at recipes makes me think I am hungry!!! I have a Farmer’s Cookbook and a Fannie Farmer cookbook that I have yet to find anything better. Fannie Farmer’s cookbook is indispensable! Everything from Blueberry muffins to scalloped potatoes. Most recipes ~ you can find in your well stocked pantry!
Here is a pic of my Fannie Farmer cookbook and where I keep my Cookbooks~ in the living room and a pic of the doors closed, the TV sits on the stand… Keeping the doors closed, but the books in easy reach at night when I wanna look thru them – or during meal planning time when I wanna spread them out on the floor! With a glass of wine of course;)

Speaking of Wine- Brian has mentioned he wants to try to make it- and I found Classes- so I am sure that will be a post soon enough! Not to mention I think this will be a money saver in our house – if you know what I mean!

So- I am looking to forward to hearing what are your "go to Cookbooks" ? 
Also- I want to organize my spices in a more user friendly manner... any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment