Saturday, January 29, 2011

Winter Jam, Dust and Potato Soup

            So Friday Brian had the pellet Stove guys come out to take alook at it, we still aren't sure if the problem is fixed or not... it has been doing this low roar thing that sounds like a CATA bus passing the house, for all you local folk. There was a 2 hour delay, so I was home, trying to work when the guy showed up and Brian was here as well. All the sudden, Brian says " Can you get some blankets" or something to that effect I can not remember ~ my panic set in at that point, cause I knew what that meant, the electrical crap downstairs in the family room needed covered due to the massive amount of dust,soot and basically all the stuff that should have gone up the pipe or somewhere other than my family room. Needless to say, I was not dealing with it and neither was Brian at that moment. We covered the T.V and the Computer Monitor and CPU. 

           My plan for Friday night was to clean the basement, yea right NOT- my phone started beeping with texts about going to the Winter Jam, which I knew the kids would love it- and I wanted to see David Crowder. Brian got home first, bless his heart and made dinner..Chicken tenders and onion rings- all frozen- but heck that is why I keep that stuff in the house!!! I got thru the door and said - forget the basement, let's go to Winter Jam! So off to Winter Jam we went. Max had a blast, sayin we missed the best part- the News Boys, getting a ride home from Pastor Howard. Brian and I left early with Connor, being his ears are over sensitive due to his low vision.

              So - that brings me to Saturday morning, armed with my Mrs. Meyers, paper towels and my head in a "DooRag", Brian and I proceeded to clean the family room from 9:30  to 2:30 pm... that room is so clean- I don't even know who lives in this house. I swear by the Mrs. Meyers- it may seem like alot to put out in the beginning for the price- but it smells incredible and lasts forever and cleans like a dream..

                I am so grateful I have a husband who is willing to help me clean up, I would have puttered out after half the room, he literally washed the walls, dusted his heart out and joked with me the whole time, it was actually almost fun. The kids left us alone considering they might have to help, kinda like a cleaning date!

Tonight we had Loaded Potato Soup.. a recipe I sorta made up.. I have always used real actual potatoes, well I had a coupon for Oreda, and got the shredded hasbrowns, I saw a recipe that used them in a potato soup.. so of course I thought~ I can improvise this!
Here is the recipe~

Loaded Potato Soup
1 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
3 small onions chopped
2 quarts of milk (i am frugal I used my powdered milk, I was cooking and that is my rule.. when you cook use powdered)
1 bag of shredded hasbrowns
seasonings to taste~ celery seed, pepper, salt, oregano
2 scallions chopped
1 and 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese



Toppings:
Chopped Scallions
Sour Cream
Bacon
Shredded Cheese


Directions~
make roux of butter and flour in large stockpot, melt butter- add flour cook on med hot~ stirring constantly~ add chopped onions. Once onions are tender add milk, potatoes, seasonings, cheese and scallions. Stir often keep on med heat- even low heat.
I used an immersion blended right in the stock pot to smooth everything out- it isn't necessary. 
Serve with toppings!


This was my bowl- I added alot of the toppings- cause I love toppings, obviously this is all by taste preference!

No comments:

Post a Comment