Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tech-savvy beans and a BzzAgent!

             So I joined the “Communications Committee” last night at MNUMC, actually I think P. Howard signed me up when I asked “Who updates the website calendar?”  I learned the lesson of asking who does what in a work setting – I suppose I need to learn that in my Church life as well LOL… Actually the team is so upbeat and casual, I think I may like it and * Gasp* learn some real Web design stuff if I am not too scared! I am tasked with trying to keep the calendar up to date, so that will hopefully happen and attract more people to the Website knowing that they can find out the upcoming events.
            I think I am going to need to take my laptop to the next meeting though- I wanted to run from the room when I looked around and everyone started pulling out Ipads/Macs and other Laptops… and there I sat with a mini notebook and a pen that had a chewed cap .. thanks to the previous nights L.I.F.E meeting attendee Jerry P.
I want to be techy- I think knowing that “language “ is one of the coolest things in the world, but by the time I left the mtg at 8:45 pm, I ran thru the door at home to finish making the homemade chicken stock I had started before I left the house at 7 pm.. I KNOW my way around the kitchen, I can run circles around others when it comes to frugal cooking … it is soothing.  Someday maybe Cloud tags will also be soothing to me!

I have been wanting to use my *new* 22 quart pressure canner, I say new cause I have only ever looked at the instructions never taken the actual cooker out of the box since I bought it 2 years ago. I found on another blog about pressure canning pinto beans and chicken stock too, I think these will be my first attempt.

Tonight we are having Bean Counter Chowder the recipe is from Taste of Home Dinner on a Dime. In Italics is the substitutions/additions cause I don’t cook without adding and subtracting!
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3)
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped (I used a can of Diced Tomatoes with oregano and garlic)
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth (Used my homemade Chicken stock I made the night before)
  • 1-3/4 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and celery flakes( I used celeryseed)
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained(I used 2 cans )
  • 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 1 tablespoon minced parsley
  • ¾ Cup Lentils which I cooked first for about 30 minutes cause I used Brown lentils and they  take about 45 min to cook.
Directions
  • In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and macaroni; return to a boil.
  • Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).



Another way to learn about great products and get coupons to share with friends:
I am a Bzz Agent- it is one of the ways I get to stay in touch with products that I might not normally think to buy- It is a pretty cool program! I am not one to tout products or stuff like that - but if Bzzagent is willing to send me 20 coupons for 3 dollars off Perdue Chicken?!? or a free CoverGirl Eye Shadow to tell people what I think about them and share the coupons.. I am alllll for it!
            You get kits, with stuff in them and using social media and word of mouth – you get the info out there about the products. I have not been disappointed yet! Not to mention- I like it better than someother places like Houseparty- where it is a race to the finish to get an actual party- Bzz Agent matches their campaigns with your profile that you fill out!
Right now there is a campaign going on since Covergirl is turning 50 - which I think is pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment